28 May 2008

Back in the UK

We arrived back in the UK early this afternoon. Long-haul flights are really boring, although the entertainment options have gotten better. There are now about 10 movies and 15 tv shows to watch, which you can start anytime and also pause, rewind, fast-forward but it's still a long time to be on a plane. I'm not sure that I'll ever get to go somewhere like Australia which requires almost 24 hours on a plane. 10 plus hours today was enough for me.

My last day in Madison was incredibly enjoyable! The weather was perfect, a virtually cloudless, low eighties day. My Mom and I spent the early afternoon reading magazines on a pier in Lake Mendota watching my step-dad fish (that's my Mom in the red hat below).


Later that day, Chris arrived back from South Dakota and my brother Branden came out for a grill-out. We ended the day by making s'mores in a firepit that my brother made in my parents' backyard.


Here's a photo of the boys (Branden and Chris) enjoying a beer together on the deck of my Mom and step-dad's house.


The ultimate reward for spending so much time flying was being able to see Sex and the City the movie just four hours after landing. My friend Claire and I bought tickets before I left knowing it was being released in the UK on May 28. Since it's not released in the U.S. until Friday, I will only say that it's a fabulous movie. It was so fun seeing it with a sold-out crowd of almost all females. People started clapping when just the first few notes of the theme music started.

Now it's time to adjust to UK time and head back to work...I told my boss I'd be in around noon on Thursday. I heard they posted my position while I was gone which makes it just that much more real that it's almost time to leave England. Our remaining few weeks here will probably go by very quickly, especially considering that we're visiting Athens, Berlin and Paris before we leave on July 30.
kk
Tomorrow is Chris' birthday. The old man is going to be 34 years old :) He has requested a low-key birthday considering that we just returned "home".