26 January 2008

Random Ramblings

Weather

The weather here has been fantastic lately, with temps in the 50s and lots of sunshine. Granted it never really gets that cold, but temps in December with mostly in the 30s and we got lots of rain, so I'm quite enjoying the difference. It's strange to hear birds and other spring sounds in January, it reminds me of April in Wisconsin. I've always hated cold weather, and as much as I'm looking forward to returning home, I'm not excited about the prospect of living in a state with long, cold winters again.

Income Taxes

I recently researched a tax clause we had heard about prior to moving here, in which teachers and researchers who stay in the UK less than two years are exempt from paying income tax. I never thought we'd be here less than two years so I never seriously looked into it but that now that it's becoming a serious possibility I've written to the Birmingham tax office for more information. The amount is quite significant and worth leaving in July for, as Chris pays 350 pounds/700 dollars per month in income taxes. On a related note, we just found out that our landlord will not allow us to a month-to-month lease after August, so it's all the more incentive to leave in July.

Famous Footwear

The company I worked for in Madison might be shutting down. There was always a rumor of this happening even when I worked there, as the company headquarters are in St. Louis, but I still thought I might go back to work there one day if Chris and I ever returned to Madison.

http://www.channel3000.com/money/15137831/detail.html

Pet Girl

I read a strange newspaper story here the other day about a girl who acts like a pet, and while I'm sure something like this could just as easily happen in the U.S., I'm almost certain that this kid would not be allowed to live off welfare like she does here. It's so depressing to think that my UK tax money is supporting her lifestyle.


Tasha Maltby, 19, told British newspapers she was the "pet" of her 25-year-old fiance Dani Graves. The articles go on to say that The couple, who live on benefits (neither one works) in a council house (free housing) and plan to start a family, have been friends for years.

"I am a pet," she told the Daily Mail. "I generally act animal-like and I lead a really easy life. I don't cook or clean and I don't go anywhere without Dani. It might seem strange but it makes us both happy. It's my culture and my choice. It isn't hurting anyone."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKL2388251520080123

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=509713