22 January 2008

Anti-Virus Software

I've never thought much about anti-virus software because UW provided free Norton software to all students. We were pleasantly surprised when Norton continued to work after Chris graduated but became very unhappy last week when we were suddenly cut off. I knew the day would come eventually however we had no warning, so almost immediately we were inundated with viruses.

I assumed we'd need to purchase new software but so far a free program recommended by Chris' labmate seems to be doing the trick. We're using the free version of AVG and I'm hopeful it will offer sufficient protection.

http://free.grisoft.com/

So my PSA for the day is - don't let your anti-virus software expire because trying to do work on a computer plagued with viruses is maddening! This is also a warning to my brother who was hoping to take advantage of UW's free software post-graduation :)