10 January 2008

Newman University College

kk
The college I work for was recently granted taught degree awarding powers, which essentially means it can now grant it's own degrees. This also means the name changed from Newman College to Newman University College...a small but annoying change in my eyes. The official change was yesterday which meant all new stationary and hours spent changing document templates. In general, a lot of time and resources wasted.
kk
The term college here is quite different than the U.S. In general, college refers to further education, which is what students do after they "leave school" at the age of 16. It reminds me of community and technical colleges in the U.S. So at age 16 you go to college and at age 18 you go to university. There are a few higher education colleges, which really confuses the situation. A higher education college offers university level degrees but cannot award it's own degrees, it has to be affiliated with a university. A "university college" can award it's own degrees but still isn't big enough (student and program-wise) to be a full-fledged university.
kk
Brits get confused when Americans refer to university as college. It's also confusing to them when I say I went to the University of Wisconsin and Edgewood College. They want to know the difference and I honestly have no idea. I assume it's similar in that larger schools which offer more programs (undergraduate, masters and doctoral) are known as universities and smaller schools are simply colleges. If anyone knows more, clue me in because I'm curious and wikipedia wasn't as helpful as usual when I searched earlier.