18 April 2007

Guns vs. Knifes

There's nothing like a school shooting to bring out the Brits true feelings about America. It's been a popular topic of conversation here and I mostly hear about how scary it is to think that every American has their own gun. I guess if you've never visited the U.S. and only had news reports to go by it could seem like a scary place. The same would hold true for any country though. I pointed out to my co-workers how many knife attacks there are here and they agreed and said they are scared of getting knifed. In fact, I just read a newspaper article saying that new Kevlar lined sweatshirts have been designed for kids to wear who live in rough neighborhoods in England...particularly London, where it seems there's at least one report each day of a child being knifed to death, often gang related.

It was quite amusing to hear some of my co-workers suggestions as to how we can fix the gun problem in the U.S. I heard...change your Constitution, only allow farmers to own guns, ban hunting, and don't allow police to carry guns (as is the case here). I don't really know what to think about school shootings, but the British certainly have an interesting perspective. For a good movie on the topic, I'd recommend watching Bowling For Columbine, if you haven't already done so.