22 July 2008

iPod-ized

I'm searching for a new MP3 player and through my research so far I've discovered that the world has become iPod-ized. Three years ago, I got an MP3 player that has worked flawlessly and I was hoping to get something very similar now for Chris. Back then MP3 players all had removable batteries and came with necessary accessories such as arm bands. Now, they have non-removable batteries (like iPods) and require charging but chargers must be purchased separately, as do arm bands.

Well, that's fine, except that accessories for MP3 players can be difficult to find. Sony is a top-rated brand on Consumer Reports, but I can't find a charger and there's only find one arm band type that will fit it. For iPods, on the other hand, the selection of accessories is vast - multiple types, colors, etc.
Although I'd prefer to stick with MP3 players, I think I may be forced to switch over to an iPod. I'm really glad I had my removable battery MP3 player for traveling Europe though. I can't imagine the hassle of finding outlet adapters to charge it in various countries.
kk
Consumer Reports has become my new best friend. I recently purchased a subscription to access online content and it's been invaluable because we have a lot of purchases to make in the near future. At the top of our joint list is a king size bed and at the top of my personal list is a TV (Chris thinks we don't need one). The world of TVs has become increasingly complex as well. Sorting through differences between plasma vs LCD vs standard picture tube TVs is frustrating. I miss the simpler electronic days.