02 April 2008

UK Coins

I was surprised to read a news story today that new coins are being released into circulation because at first I thought they meant additional coin values. However, it turns out they're just introducing new designs.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3666992.ece

For those who are unfamiliar with the insane number of coin values we have, there are eight in total...one pence, two pence, five pence, ten pence, twenty pence, fifty pence, one pound and two pounds. I find the image below, which I found online, amusing because I'm not sure why a US penny is in the picture? Perhaps as a size comparison? Anyway, it shows all the coins, minus the 2 pound one.

Of course the reason for so many coins is partially because the lowest note (bill) is 5 pounds, so the one and two pound coins are used quite frequently. I've noticed that women's wallets here have a much bigger change part and most men's wallets have a zippered change area. Incidentally, I should also mention during this little British lesson that women's wallets are known as purses, and purses are known as handbags. Men still carry wallets though :)