15 April 2008

On My Own

I'm enjoying being on my own this week. It's like a mini-vacation because I can eat cereal for every meal without having the protein policeman after me :) I don't like being on my own at night though. Our flat doesn't feel very secure and also our friend Dario was attacked this past weekend. He was out running during daylight hours in a very busy part of the downtown area when two guys jumped him. Luckily he got away with just bruises. It's so senseless, they didn't even take his Ipod, so what was the point?

Chris' interview in San Diego went well and he has been offered a post-doc position at The Scripps Research Institute. It's his first choice, so unless he's really impressed with the Milwaukee guy tomorrow I foresee that we're moving to California.

I did some calculations today to determine how we'll be moving and was surprised that it would be quite a bit cheaper for us to fly. To rent a minivan and drive to California would cost $3141 versus $1575 to fly, taking into account all of the related costs. Although we'd have to replace some things like my bike, it seems it would still be worthwhile to fly.