25 February 2007

Shopping

It can be really hard to buy things here. Yesterday, Chris commented that he felt like we were in Russia as we looked for knives because there was one and only one choice. Granted the store we were shopping at was more similar to Home Depot than Bed, Bath and Beyond, but it's like that most everywhere here. Another frustrating thing is how many stores close on Sundays. I can never remember for certain which stores are open on the High Street (like Main Street) near us, so I went today and was disappointed to find that only one of three stores I was hoping to go to were open.

We end up purchasing quite a bit from Amazon.co.uk to avoid the hassle of trying to shop at stores here. Our most recent purchase is a 250GB external hard drive. I ordered it as soon as I realized our laptop hard drive was so full that I could no longer burn DVDs. Our new hard drive will now hold our 9,700 photos and 6,400 songs. It's the first UK product we've bought which will be coming back to the U.S. with us, which means we'll need to purchase a US outlet adapter before we come back.