25 October 2006

Miss America

I'm extremely amused by the nickname which a co-worker refers to me by and that is...Miss America. His name is Jim and he's a very interesting guy to talk with. He and I take lunch at the same time, so we often end up chatting together for 1/2 an hour each day. I recently discovered that we have a shared love of country music. When he first told me he liked country music, I asked him who his favorite artists were because I was assuming I'd here names like Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, and Loretta Lynn. So imagine my surprise when he said Faith Hill, Brooks & Dunn and Lonestar! Oh, I should mention Jim is retiring this year and appears to be in his mid-60s, so that's why I was guessing he'd like more traditional country artists.

Jim was born in Northern Ireland, but his parents had to leave when he was very young because of the Catholic/Protestant divide...his Mom's Catholic, his Dad is Protestant. I'm really glad that I'm getting the chance to get know some Brits on a more personal level.

Below, a picture of Jim, who refused to smile for the camera :)