25 January 2007

Snow

I've found that the British react to snow the way Texans do...with awe and trepidation. Some parts of the country saw their first snowfall of the year this week. A newspaper article today stated that there was "travel chaos after 25mm of snow fell in the South-East overnight." For you non-metric people (I'm one of them) that is about one inch of snow.

Last night a co-worker and I were working late, when she advised that we should leave after looking out the window because it was starting to snow and we might be trapped overnight. When I looked outside all I saw was a slushy type rain...certainly nothing was accumulating and it wasn't even cold enough to freeze, but she was dead serious. Of course, you can't blame the Brits for reacting to snow (or something resembling snow) this way because they don't have the proper equipment to deal with a true snowfall. There are only a few salt trucks (called grit lorries here) for the entire county we live in. Nevertheless, I'm still amused by it :)